Friday, August 30, 2013

Howdy

Okay so let's start this journey out with some honesty: I don't like blogging. I'm not good at it, I don't find my life interesting enough to be documented, and I'm afraid that everything starts sounding the same after awhile. But that aside, I'm happy to be sharing some of the highlights of my days with whoever reads this!

The focus of this blog is going to primarily be running and lifestyle-related posts. I've loved running for a long time as a coping mechanism and because, quite frankly, it makes me a nicer person.


This past semester (Spring 2013) I enrolled in a Marathon Training class at Washburn University (where I go to school). Every week we built up our mileage and the expectation is that eventually we would run either a half or a full marathon. I had my sights set on a half until a conversation with my father that went like this:

Dad: If you can run a half, you can run a full.

And how do you argue with that? So I set my long-term goal at a full marathon (26.2 miles). 

The class taught me a lot about running, obviously, but so much more than that! We learned about dietary and lifestyle changes to make, workouts that work, how to get the results you want, pacing, etc. And running long distances isn't for everyone, but if you have a half or a full in your crosshairs, please go for it

I could not have survived the long workouts if it hadn't been for my pal and ZTA sister, Bonnie McKee. We run an identical pace and have the same tendencies when it comes to running (read: We don't like to talk while we run). Bonnie witnessed me trip in the street and was always there on the early Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday mornings to be encouraging.

So on April 20th, I ran the Garmin Marathon in Olathe, Kan. I was blessed enough to have my Dad and my boyfriend there to cheer me on. Four times during the race they met me and I shed a layer of clothing to them and they gave me a Clif Bar. I'll post all about my marathon at a later date. 



Thanks y'all for reading, stay tuned to this work in progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment