Sunday, September 22, 2013

My worst 5K ever and bedazzled wine

Yesterday started off not so great. I had a horrible night of sleep on Friday night, which really messed with my mentality since I had Race Against Breast Cancer on my campus the next morning. But I woke up and decided to do my best. My ZTA sister Ali Berg was supposed to run with me, but she got really sick the night before. So my other friend and ZTA sister Maddie Williams ran it with me! 

The race itself was probably my worst 5K I've ever ran in my entire life. Though I have been training, I arrived at the starting line feeling tired and sore. I also had to pee really bad but figured I would be done in less than a half hour so I would hold it. BAD IDEA.

Somewhere along the 5K course, a car was parked in the way of racers. So the race was delayed until that person realized it was their car and proceeded to move it. The race, in total, was delayed 20 minutes. 

So, my entire race was uncomfortable and jarring my bladder. But I finished.

Reason enough to finish a race: the food

This particular 5K was near and dear to my heart because I know so many folks affected by breast cancer. Seeing everyone dressed up in their pink kept the race from being dull. My favorite walker was this old guy, in his pink leather chaps and cowboy boots.


"Get at me"

After the race, Maddie and I sat on the back porch of our house and watched people cross the finish line. Our house mom, Linda, is a survivor of breast cancer. She was so proud to see us participating in this event!

Maddie, Mom Linda, and me!

Of course the first step to race recovery is refuel! However, I have this thing where I think I can just eat anything and everything because I've "earned" it. Not the case, but I did it anyways. Maddie and I joined several of my friends at IHOP for a post-race meal of pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, and hot chocolate.


I felt kind of silly wearing my race clothes to the restaurant, but it turns out that hundreds of other people had the same idea! So many purple RABC shirts spanned across the restaurant. It was truly a cool thing to see.

My good friends Jerik and Olivia visited me after lunch and brought me the sweetest birthday gift. Literally. A bedazzled bottle of wine!


That little problem I talked about earlier? Yeah. Went to Target yesterday, and got a monster cookie and a cherry Icee. I went back to Bobby's place and we made spaghetti and French bread and I ate lots. Then we went to Dairy Queen and took advantage of the Buy One Blizzard, Get One 99 cents deal. I'm a very very bad person, I know, but Bobby is on a health kick so when it is his idea to indulge, I feel compelled to go along.

Today will be a day of relaxing, enjoying the weather, recovering. And not ingesting as many calories as I did yesterday. 


1 comment:

  1. Carly, I really enjoyed reading this particular post on your blog! I am actually running in a 5K next Saturday through a program called, Girls on the Run. I think it's really neat that you enjoy running for a cause and yet set goals for yourself while you do it. The bottle of wine made me chuckle because wine is my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete