Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Run Post 2 - and I love America

Good afternoon friends!

Today I broke my week-long break from the gym. Kind of. I went on what was supposed to be a 5mi run but ended up being in the neighborhood of 7.5mi because I got lost. Topeka streets don't always run from one end of town to the other, so sometimes you turn right to run up a hilly street, only to find that you haven't paid attention and now you're much farther south than you ever planned on running. Or maybe just I do that.

As aforementioned, I found a street this morning with rolling hills. I have a love/hate relationship with hills from my marathon training. We did a hill workout about every 2-3 weeks and they always hurt while you're doing them, but feel good later (like most fitness moves!). There are 3 ways to go up hills. One is to skip. Yes, skip! Another is to do the "high knees" motion that you may have learned in high school. The other is to make long bounds so that your feet spend less time on the ground and more time in the air. Today I elected to try the high knees motion. My legs are super short so I hope you can imagine with humor what they look like making small steps forward but big motions upward.

Thankfully I completed the hills sector of my workout before getting lost and running in an aimless square around a group of churches. 

I don't honestly regret taking the week-long break because I was able to have extra energy for all the fun things that come with sorority Bid day!




This morning's run was rough on more than one count. One being that I got lost. Another being that this weekend was my 21st birthday! I will not even pretend that I don't look forward to my birthday all year round. 


Alas, while this morning's run wasn't the easiest, it gave me some quality thinking time.

Today is a day that will forever live in the hearts and minds of Americans. Being a firefighter's daughter, today carries some extra weight on my heart as I remember and appreciate those men and women who went into those buildings with the odds stacked against them. Everyone in their collective efforts to try to cushion the blow of that day on our country are very much appreciated and prayed for. God bless the USA.


My favorite firefighter, my father.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's really fun that you got lost and ended up having fun while doing it. I also like how you valued your time of taking a break and having some fun with your sorority sisters! Bid day and your 21st birthday would have been a blast!

    ReplyDelete