Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Running Post 1

Hello! How is your week going? 
Mine is crazy hectic, but I've turned to the two kinds of therapy that help me most. 

Caffeine and running!

This week is sorority recruitment week which, unless you went through it yourself, is really hard to put into words. It takes a toll on the body, mentally and physically. So in order to get through the late nights and short days with as little conflict as possible, I've tried really hard to get my fair share of endorphins everyday. 

Yesterday, it was only 82 degrees out. Which as compared to lately, was a welcome cool front. However, as a rule I learned in Marathon Training class; add 20 degrees to the temperature outside for a good estimate of what it will feel like to you while running.

Thus, yesterday was still a '102 degree' run. So I went out with the distance in mind: I wanted to complete 5K before I ventured back to the house to get ready and look presentable for the evening.

So in 102 degree runs, one must stay cool. I chose a sleeveless running top and my traditional Nike tempo shorts but I also donned a white running hat. This was probably the best decision of the day because not only did it keep my head cool, but it also prevented me from squinting into the sun. Squinting takes a great deal of energy out of you when your body is running. 

Rarely will I take pictures of myself ESPECIALLY after a run, but I wanted you to see my outfit!


Living in Topeka is a total advantage to runners because streets and sidewalks are lined with big, old trees. So I found some shady residential streets to run on and explore.

See how shady the sidewalk becomes with the help of some old oak trees?

The combination of my correct running attire and the shade that the canopy of trees created over the sidewalks made for a solid afternoon run. I completed 3.25 miles in about 35 minutes.

The hour after your run is a critical period of nutrition and hydration. The body needs calories and water, stat. A habit I started six months ago is taking my water bottle (in yesterday's case, Gatorade) in the shower with me. That way, while I rinse off in the cool water, I can still be hydrating too. It's easy to forget when you're busy with other things (like showering). If you ever complete a grueling workout (running or otherwise!) and you're in a pinch, try my tip!

Well that's all for now. Have a wonderful rest of your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment